Various subgroups dislike the game. For example, people who would publicly admit to playing WoW hate it because
1) Play often involves going out during the day... especially to a place like the mall with sunshine and real people
2) There are no levels, thus physical skill and effort must be employed instead of grinding
3) The music isn't quiet, repetitive, and in the background (Actual music at audible volume tends to melt their ears, especially something as assertive as techno or jrock)
4) Your dancing avatar, if present, cannot be a bull/furry or a half dressed elf chick.
5) It carries risk of weight loss (fat is central to their image)
6) Movement is evil unless it's how fast you can click/move your fingers.
7) There are no easy exploits
8) Cute chicks, who tend to like the game because of its uncompetitive nature and who don't care about whether you're horde or alliance, tend to be near or on the game
9) You can't gank your opponent in play... well, you could, but the WoW nerd would probably lose that fight.
Such people don't understand why people would subject themselves to things like a good time with IRL friends so they decide people must like it because it's from Japan.
Others miss the point entirely and think it's about actually learning to or attempting to dance, and for that reason tend to do poorly in the game. Almost all people who are mid-tier or good at the game admit that they can't actually dance.
Normal Person: Bitch go back to your room.
"Man, my half Asian friend kicked my butt in Dance Dance Revolution... at least I beat that emo in the corner... he went and cried about it."
"Those Mexicans making fun of me in Spanish are terribly distracting... I'm missing arrows..."
See also DDR.
On a side note, also a great game.
The Japanese (Konami) are quite ingenious when it comes to unique, and as usual, very popular games. Take Metal Gear for example. It was rated one of the best games of the year back in the day, and still is with the new games and series coming out. DDR does not attract only ugly, pale young males, and no females. In my area there are plenty of both young healthy males and young cute girls that play the game.
"Homosexuals" is definitley the wrong term to be used when defining DDR. When 2 males go up together to play, they do not make contact with eachother nor do they make any sexual reactions to one another.
also there is this song that is illegal to be in the united states called MAX. (period) and it goes up to almost 700 BPM...! X0