Historically, Creole was used in early generations to refer to colonists of French descent who had been born in Louisiana and were thus native to the territory, compared to new immigrants. It then meant exclusively people of European descent. It also was used for black slaves who were born in Louisiana as opposed to those born in West Africa and transported from there. French Creole became the term for those of exclusively French descent after there grew a Creole population of mixed ancestry. Many multiracial Creoles of French descent also call themselves French Creole.
People of relatively pure African-American, French or Spanish descent who have family roots in Louisiana and were raised under the Creole culture also have called themselves Creole. Today Louisiana Creole has come to mean those people of mixed ancestry.
Translation: Let The Good Times Roll :)
the art, food, language, music, and history of creole people.
french/spanish language and culture unique to louisiana.
from the spanish criollo, meaning 'a local'.
creole language (mixed of french/spanish and african dialectes) mostly spoken in Haiti and other French Carribean Islands..
1. a person born in the West Indies or Spanish America but of European, usually Spanish, ancestry.
2. a person born in Louisiana but of usually French ancestry.
3. (sometimes lowercase) a person of mixed black and European, esp. French or Spanish, ancestry who speaks a creolized form of French or Spanish.
4. (usually lowercase) a creolized language; a pidgin that has become the native language of a speech community.
5. the creolized French language of the descendants of the original settlers of Louisiana. Cajun
6. Haitian Creole.
7. a black person born in the New World, as distinguished from one brought there from Africa. –adjective
8. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a Creole or Creoles.
9. a spicy sauce or dish made esp. with tomatoes, peppers, onions, celery, and seasonings, and often served with rice.
10. bred or growing in a country, but of foreign origin, as an animal or plant.