1) continually occurring; persistent
2) regularly recurring
3) unchanging in nature, value, or extent; invariable
4) steadfast in purpose, loyalty, or affection; faithful
A constant in this case refers to the loyalty of an object, thing or person in our life. When we see everything changing around us and our circumstances are changing, people fade (they come and they go), responsibilities change, time passes us by, we are faced with more challenges or we experience different levels of anguish etc. we become fearful that there is nothing constant in our life. There is no anchorage to keep us knowing that we have a reliable source of comfort at all times. To know we have that anchorage results in us feeling secure and thus we have a constant in our lives no matter what is going on around us.
1) Sarah's uncle was in constant pain after his car accident
2) They group had a regular meeting once a week to discuss the issues they were facing at the work place.
3) 4x + 5y; 4 and 5 are constants in this case
4) To have a person who is a constant (a person who is going to be there for us regardless of what is going on around us both) is the most wonderful feeling and source of hope. A constant is someone who promises to be there for you through everything. I was once told by a holy sage that I have been a constant in someone's soul journey for the past 15 of our lives. That we have been each others soul mate for 15 lifetimes and that is why in this life we are each others' constant. A constant in our life is a person who stands by us and a source of hope, strength and knowingness that we can always rely on that person what may be the circumstance because they are there as our anchor... someone who is omnipresent specially to you and forever an individual you can fall back on. In reference to the above e.g. they are the 4 or 5 when the x and y are subject to change. For example, in a relationship your partner is your constant. someone you know who is ALWAYS going to be there. Mike and Veronica are each others' constants and Veronica will always be there with Mike.
A constant is a person in your life who you can always count on and trust... its basically another word for Best friend.
"You are the one constant thing in my life. I can always count on you to be there and not change. I can look to you and know how our lives are going, because you are a solid marker by which to judge things."