The Civil Air Patrol also has the largest fleet of single-engine aircraft in the world, complex VHF-FM and HF-SSB radio systems that allow for interoperabily with navy, air force, marine corps, coast guard, as well as disater relief organizations such as the red cross, FEMA, etc.
The Civil Air Patrol is a national asset that at least does something useful, unlike the ROTC.
Originally made up of bat-fuck insane private pilots during WWII, who attacked U-Boats with Piper Cubs, CAP was made the Air Force Bitch Auxiliary, and banned from Combat in '47.
CAP now consists of:
1) Wannabee Cadets, who act tough and pretend to be "Rangers," but have never been deployed, and would cry to their mommies if they did.
2) Fat middle aged slobs who improperly wear the Air Force uniform, who get their kicks from yelling at 12 year olds.
3) Wannabee EMTs, who fail too hard to be real men and ride the ambulance.
4) Good Old Boy's club Pilots.
5) The occasional sane person, who doesn't talk about CAP much in the real world.
Even so, every CAP member needs to realize is that the only reason they get "missions" is because they are cheap. The Government always goes with the lowest bidder, and nothing is lower than people who will pay money to be able to do it.
Captain: "And they want us to interrupt OUR grill-out night! NEVER! Tell them to send the Civil Air Patrol out. Probably another drunk pilot."