- I didn't belong there.
- Are you a racist though?
- No, I just call them as I see them.
The culture here is defined by belligerence, ignorance, narcissism, and apathy. If you ever leave the big cities, be prepared to be surrounded by inbred, racist/sexist, psycho-christian hillbillies. You heard me right- there are massive amounts of trailer trash hicks everywhere you go, they've just become good at hiding it.
And while you're stuck on the 10, 101, 215, 91, or the 60 Freeways with a raised up Bro-truck tailgating you all the way to work, surrounded by industry, warehouses, smog, boarded up buildings, graffiti, and strip malls, you will attempt to replace what you are actually seeing with what you *thought* you should be seeing.
California is a LIE. It's a dreamworld that doesn't exist. Oh, and trying to find a job here is next to impossible. Right now, we have the highest unemployment. Same thing with teen pregnancy rates.
Yeah, I'm some asshole on the internet, but I'd give anything to save another person out there who reads this the time, toil, trouble, and inevitable misery that will come from believing the "California Dream".
Both have the following features:
- completely dysfunctional government
- too much debt
- declining economy
- endemic corruption
- beautiful landscapes and coastlines
- agriculture: olives, wine, citrus fruits, cheese, tomatoes
- natives feel it is important to look good
- natives drive like maniacs in heavy traffic but somehow avoid running into each other
- too many illegal immigrants
- rich people with mansions on a cliff overlooking the ocean
- earthquakes and volcanoes
- nice weather, hot in the summer, rain in the winter
- skiing in the mountains
- swarmed by tourists in the summer
- Western movies are filmed there
Observer A: that must be Italy
Observer B: no, the buildings are new. It is California.