One of the most underestemated instruments in a band. Although some bands would sound alright without the bass (AC/DC) others would sound like complete and utter shit (Metallica, Rob Zombie). The bass seems easy to pick up and play, which in a few cases it is, but it takes much more time to master than a guitar does. This is because the bass has much thicker strings and a longer neck and frets.
Myths about the bass:
1.Because it has fewer strings,the bass is easier to play.
I have a 5-string bass (1 less string than a guitar for stupid people) and an acoustic guitar. I like playing bass more and, to me, the acoustic guitar is easier to play than the bass
2.The bass isn't an important instrument in a band.
Look at the difinition, retard.
3.Since I play guitar I can play bass also.
No, no you can't, shutup. Bass and guitar are very different, and because u can play both, doesn't NESSESARILY mean you can play both.
I was actually in this conversation.
(Dumb guitarist): Since you hear the guitar more in a song, its more important, you know?
(Me):Are you fucking stupid? Youve been playing guitar for 3 days because you want to look cool and because I play bass guitar so you wanna prove your better. And every1 that you ask says I'm better.
(Dumb guitarist): Dude I can play Iron Man and this is just my 3rd day.
(Me): No, you can play 14 notes of Iron Man, and you still mess up while switching frets.
(Dumb guitarist): Whats a fret?
(Me): -_- Jesus Fucking Christ.....
a four stringed guitar (E,A,D,G), much cooler than regular guitar
i play bass, im kooler than you
The Sexiest Instrument In the World.
mmmm i love my sexy fender jazz
Since most people here seem to be ignorant of what a bass is:
1) It was NOT "based off the guitar", it's an electric adaptation of the double bass which became awkward and increasingly less audible compared to other instruments in the earliest rock/jazz bands.
2) While easier to learn than guitar, it is far far more difficult to master. Anyone can sound cool playing the pentatonic scale and power chords over and over; it takes a great more deal of musical skill and talent to be excellent at bass.
3) On a related note "Anyone who plays guitar can play bass by default" is ridiculous. If you have no sense of rhythm and can't keep a beat, then you can't play bass. Hell, most guitarists I've met can't even play the bass without making the frets buzz their first few times.
4) Bass is a rhythm instrument, with a deeper more mellow sound. Guitar is melodic (or at least mostly used for such). To say bass is inferior to guitar is also stupid.
1) The advent of the electric bass guitar revolutioned new age music
2) A guitarist can sound "amazing" in just a couple years. I'd like to see anyone learn Victor Wooten's Classical Thump in just a couple of years.
3) "Whoa dude whats wrong with your frets? Why are they buzzing??" - Guitarist who thinks he can play bass
4) Have you ever heard a band with two guitarists and no bassist? It sounds like a transistor radio
foundation of modern rock bands; person playing it is highly overlooked as a musician although most bassists are much cooler//more talented than guitar players
goes great with drums
guitar player: I'm a weak ass mofo compared to the bassist in our band
(BASE - gitt - TARR) A musical instrument that's a hybrid of the upright bass (also known as the double bass or bass violin) and the electric guitar, conveniently combining the low tonal range of the upright bass with the portability and playability of the guitar. Popularized by models created by Leo Fender in the 1950s, although he wasn't the first to manufacture a bass & guitar combination.
Like the original upright bass, bass guitars most commonly have 4 thick strings tuned EADG. But extended-range models with five (BEADG) or six strings (BEADGC) are available too, as are 8 and 12 string models (based off the idea of 12 string guitars).
Paul McCartney and Sting both play the bass guitar.
a four stringed instrument. tuned a octave lower than your normal guitar.
many people overlook the bass as being simple but if anyone has any proper knowledge of the bass then they know that it is harder than it looks to play.
people may say if u can play guitar u can play bass but its not always like that. due to the basses heaviness and longer neck it can take a while to get used to!
guitars may be light but bass guitars can put up a fight!
An instrument scientifically proven to be sexy because its low-end frequency range of 30-100 Hz corresponds with the frequencies at which vaginas vibrate when sexually aroused!
Jenny felt a slight tingling but increasingly stronger sensation with her vagina, that seemed to correspond as the bass guitar solo progressed.