In Wicca, the common image of Baphomet drawn by Eliphas Lévi is used for the Horned God, or the Godhead. In Freemasonry, Baphomet is a twisted form of Sophia, a mistress of God from Gnosticism. In Christianity, Baphomet is often portrayed as Satan, or Lucifer, and in Paganism, Baphomet is used as an image of fertility and purity.
The Westernized image of Baphomet comes from the Artist Eliphas Lévi, who drew the image for a book called "Dogmas and Rituals of High Magic". This image has been named " The Goat of Mendes", possibly modeled after the Greek god Mendes, who was portrayed as having a goat's face, and legs. Mendes is more commonly known from Roman theology as "Pan", who's worshipers had been visited and spoken down upon by Jesus, the acclaimed son of the Hebrew God.
2. a synonym for the symbol primarily seen as the symbol for the Church of Satan, created by Anton Szandor Lavey, in 1966, which features hebrew letters that spell "lvytn" or leviathan, which is a sea-serpent creature associated with Satan, the dual god of christianity. However, The Church of Satan and Anton LaVey's teachings are not of worship of an external deity, but of teh worship of oneself, who is the real creator of all deities in their opinion. aka: sigil of baphomet.
"Where did you get that baphomet penmdant?"
2. Idol or image originally used by the Knights Templar, claimed by the Inquisition to seal their heresy.
3. The most well-known and recent depiction shown by Eliphas Lévi's 1854 Dogme et Rituel de la Haute Magie, consisting of a goat with a torch between the horns. This image is often used as a representation of Satan or some other hierarchy of Hell.
4. Suggested etymologies:
A. From the Greek 'baphe' and 'metis', meaning "baptism of wisdom".
B. Atbash cipher for the Goddess Sophia
C. Acronymn: 'Temp. ohp. Ab.' originating from the Latin 'Templi omnium hominum pacis abhas,' meaning "the father of universal peace among men."
2) Baphomet also has his place among Thanks Giving Tradition. The horn, with great amounts of food pouring fourth, is actually the horn of Baphomet. Baphomet is a God of Fertility, not of anything demonic or evil. It's evil image was crafted by the Church.
3)Name of an evil entity or the devil according to Eliphas Levi, depicted in his book Dogme et Rituel de la Haute Magie, written in 1854.
2) Almost every Thanks Giving, you will see an image of Baphomet, his horn.
3) Dogme et Rituel de la Haute Magie depressed me because the writer did bad research on Baphomet.
3) Is it just me, or does Belisarius have seem to be the only one who actually knows something?