Baphomet is a deity appearing in Masonic theology, Wicca, Satanism, and Christianity. The first mention of Baphomet was from a 12'th century poem as a corrupted form of the Prophet Muhammad. Later on, the Knight's Templar were accused of idolizing severed heads called "bafomet".
In Wicca, the common image of Baphomet drawn by Eliphas Lévi is used for the Horned God, or the Godhead. In Freemasonry, Baphomet is a twisted form of Sophia, a mistress of God from Gnosticism. In Christianity, Baphomet is often portrayed as Satan, or Lucifer, and in Paganism, Baphomet is used as an image of fertility and purity.
The Westernized image of Baphomet comes from the Artist Eliphas Lévi, who drew the image for a book called "Dogmas and Rituals of High Magic". This image has been named " The Goat of Mendes", possibly modeled after the Greek god Mendes, who was portrayed as having a goat's face, and legs. Mendes is more commonly known from Roman theology as "Pan", who's worshipers had been visited and spoken down upon by Jesus, the acclaimed son of the Hebrew God.
Baphomet is used as an idol in Satanism, and is very often confused with the Christian antagonist, Satan.
1.A creation of Eliphas Levi which is a symbol of man's nature, carnal desires, and connection to nature. Usually seen as a goat-headed figure with a womans torso, pointing above and below, with a sun overhead and a moon below. aka: goat of mendes, goat of a thousand young, black goat.
2. a synonym for the symbol primarily seen as the symbol for the Church of Satan, created by Anton Szandor Lavey, in 1966, which features hebrew letters that spell "lvytn" or leviathan, which is a sea-serpent creature associated with Satan, the dual god of christianity. However, The Church of Satan and Anton LaVey's teachings are not of worship of an external deity, but of teh worship of oneself, who is the real creator of all deities in their opinion. aka: sigil of baphomet.
"That baphomet statue is amazing!"
"Where did you get that baphomet penmdant?"
1. An idol or image
2. Idol or image originally used by the Knights Templar
, claimed by the Inquisition
to seal their heresy.
3. The most well-known and recent depiction shown by Eliphas Lévi's 1854 Dogme et Rituel de la Haute Magie, consisting of a goat with a torch between the horns. This image is often used as a representation of Satan or some other hierarchy of Hell.
4. Suggested etymologies:
A. From the Greek 'baphe' and 'metis', meaning "baptism of wisdom".
B. Atbash cipher for the Goddess Sophia
C. Acronymn: 'Temp. ohp. Ab.' originating from the Latin 'Templi omnium hominum pacis abhas,' meaning "the father of universal peace among men."
Baphomet was once thought to be a demon worshipped by freemasons, a legend originating from the Taxil hoax.
1) A goat headed "demon" so to speak. The Knights Templar, a crusading order established by Hughes de Paynes in Jerusalem after the First Crusade, were accused of worshipping it. The Inquisition found them of such worship, and hence they were burned by the hundreds at the stakes, and they were also tortured..
2) Baphomet also has his place among Thanks Giving Tradition. The horn, with great amounts of food pouring fourth, is actually the horn of Baphomet. Baphomet is a God of Fertility, not of anything demonic or evil. It's evil image was crafted by the Church.
3)Name of an evil entity or the devil according to Eliphas Levi, depicted in his book Dogme et Rituel de la Haute Magie, written in 1854.
1) Pope Clement and King Philippe of France had the Knights Templar put on trial for worshipping Baphomet.
2) Almost every Thanks Giving, you will see an image of Baphomet, his horn.
3) Dogme et Rituel de la Haute Magie depressed me because the writer did bad research on Baphomet.
3) Is it just me, or does Belisarius have seem to be the only one who actually knows something?
the big mofo from Ragnarok Online
And I was like "Noo! Bapho's coming!"
And bapho was like "I'm gonna squeeeeze yo' nuts, bubba!"
baphomet pendants are often confused with pentagrams, however, baphoments are thought to be more satanic.
"OMG!! She's wearing a pentagram/baphomet! SATAN WORSHIPPER!!"