Acronym for the phrase Big Name On Campus, notably popularized at the University of Nottingham Hockey Club.
Usually associated with a certain type of person, comprising some (or all) of the following characteristics:
- General sense of superiority and self-importance
- "A degree is more than just studying" types, who often criticise hard-working students for shunning extra-curricular 'activities' in order to concentrate of on the 'raison d'etre' of being at university, namely working hard and gaining valuable skills for future employment
- Private education
- Lack of life skills, synonymous with the "Mummy's girl/boy" type
- Membership of 'student activist' and 'champagne socialist' groupings including those such as Palestinian Solidarity campaigns, which launch futile campaigns against arms companies and boycott Israeli products - while their members use Facebook on their Iphones and drink Starbucks coffee. This is often of particular annoyance to non-BNOCs, who see no issue with the eating of Israeli dates or employment by BAE Systems
- Intense sense of 'morality' and 'ethical living', seen in such ill-thought out and infuriating activities such as bottle water bans
- Constant discussion of union politics and student officer elections, seen by many students as a poor use of public money
Other Non-BNOC - Ye, their such BNOC's!! I wish I was those guys........
Non-BNOC - ye me too.......