Thankfully the AFL-friendly media here in Australia manage to do a good job of covering this up.
Person2: Thats what you get for taking her to the Australian Rules Football.
The governing body has made the wise decision of contracting media outlets to provide "favourable coverage" which is why it's mindless band of supporters seem to believe it to be an unstoppable force that will over-run world sport, unfortunately for them the reality is that it's taken over 100 years to gain any level of support from more than 1/2 of Australias population (NSW & QLD), and that is on the back of the mass migration of Victorians to the Northern states.
Also known as aerial ping-pong, forcings-back, f...
Now take the following steps to reduce the skill as much as possible;
1) Remove the crossbar, so the ball can be kicked 10 meters over the opponents heads and still be a goal.
2) Reward the players with 1/6th of a goal for missing the target.
3) Remove the offside rule, so the forwards literally just stand around in front of their oppositions' goal and wait for someone to kick the ball to them.
4) Allow players to use their hands to catch and punch the ball.
5) Carrying on from point 4), give a player a free kick every time they catch the ball.
6) Change the shape of the ball so that it can travel further when kicked. This will help reduce the amount of passing ( = teamwork) needed to get the ball from one end of the field to another.
7) Remove all strategy. Make supporters so dumb that they actually *complain* when teams employ basic tactics such as flooding the defence, holding up the ball to look for a decent pass and running the clock down while keeping possession at the end of a match.
Now add some silly and fairly arbitary rules such as;
1) It is against the rules to push a player in the back, but it is allowed to run in from behind him, jump up, stick your knees into his back and catch the ball.
2) If you tackle (= bear hug & throw to the ground) a player, you get a free kick. Unless the umpire decides the tackled player did not have a chance to get rid of the ball before/while he was being tackled, in that case the umpire wil...
GO THE MIGHTY RAIDERS
son} dad i want to play rugby league all the gay boys at school play australian rules football
dad}thats ok mate i wouldnt subject my worst enemy to that queer afl game
Game is best described as: a bunch of sweaty blokes humping each other to the ground to get a touch of the oppositions arse and balls.
Tool: Bro lets watch a game of footy.
Real Auuseie: Fu.ck of back to melbourne you poof!
Australian Rules is designed to reward attacking style play, rather than defending ones own goal. this leads to high scoring matches, especially since a goal is worth 6 points.
unique in the way in which the game rewards a miss on goal with a solitary point, but is fantastic in that it leads to sides coming back from less than a goal down to win a game with a shot on goal once the final siren has sounded - as thrilling as any football ("soccer" *groans*) penalty.
currently 16 teams exist in the game, but will soon be 18, as new sides are being assembled in western Sydney and the Gold Coast. i wish them luck - they're gonna fuckin need it having 3 people show up to each home game.
Despite what many other AFL fans say, i will tell you straight up that the sport is not, and will not, be big outside Australia any time soon. and btw yes i am a very passionate AFL supporter.
A fantastic sport for the millions of passionate fans, i strongly recommend you look into it, you'll most likely either love it, or become confused and angered by it.
Some bloke "Australian Rules Football? any good?"
Me - "Essendon beating Collingwood in front of 90,000+ people? of course it was fucking good, go play in traffic.