(aka Fatkins Diet)
Critics painstakingly try to debunk the Atkins diet as being ridiculous and lame, but the science behind the diet doesn't lie. Since carbohydrates are your body's primary energy source, significantly reducing them causes your body to start burning it's second natural energy source: stored fat. When your body starts doing this, it's in a state called "ketosis." (Not to be confused with ketoacidosis, a dangerous conditions that diabetics can slip into if a certain blood-sugar level isn't maintained.)
Objective studies have shown that, over time, this diet is just as effective as any other diet.
Contrary to what the morons say on here, you ARE restricted in what types of proteins you consume, and you don't TOTALLY eliminate carbohydrates. You're simply eliminating the types that have a high impact on your blood-sugar level.
Furthermore, critics like to argue that consumption of high amounts of proteins and cholesterol while on this program have a detrimental effect on your health. This is almost always untrue. Since you no longer have excess sugar to burn (from your own consumption), your body changes over from a sugar-burning metabolism to a fat-burning metabolism. The excess fat and cholesterol consumed by you is simp...
"Shut up man. She's on the Atkins diet. She's already lost 10 pounds."
"What's that put her at, deuce and a half."
"Close, she's about 280 nowadays."
"That's a HUGE bitch!"
The reason why this diet actually works is because:
1. When you are eating regular carbs, your body uses them for energy by braking them up with insolan (which causes your blood sugar to rise, and then fall dramatically depending on the type of carb you eat) then u crave carbs again....its like a rollercoaster
2. When on Atkins, you are basically trying to keep your blood sugar constant - flat lined you could say.
3. When u don't use carbs for energy, your body switches in to ketosis - which is fat-burning mode. Instead of your body burning carbs and storing fat, your burning fat you eat and fat you store - that is why you can eat more fat on this diet - fat replaces carbs
* this diet has been proven by many studies to help type 2 diebetics - if you think about it, type 2 diebetics is like being allergic to carbs - your body cannot process them efficiently.
* I agree that this is a overly hyped diet - but it actually does work. I've lost 20 pounds over a month and a half - about 3 pounds a week. AND IM NOT HUNGRY ALL THE TIME LIKE I WAS WHEN I ATE CARBS! You have to do it properly - check out www.atkins.com for more infomation
2 egg omlette with cheese, ham, green pepper and onion
Low carb pancakes with low carb syrup with strawberries
Low carb bread (made with soy and whole wheat), with natural peanut butter
Garden salad with chicken
Low carb wrap with cheese, mayo, ham and chicken w/veggies
Chicken breast with cheese and salad
or any meat with veggies
- Sugar free candies/chocolate (eat sparingly though!)
- Veggies and dip
- Low carb bread with cream cheese or peanut butter
It is not a license to gorge Atkins once said.
Your heart may be buttery after this diet but its not like this diet permits 20 sticks of butter, a day might follow an omelet with cheese, ham ,and mushroom with a hearty chef salad for lunch then with a steak and tossed veggies. And berries are permitted sparingly with i must admit hearty fatty snacks time to time.
I'm surprised that most definitions that actually state the diet are made up of people who did not read the book, and it does not permit unlimited fatty food. This idea came from the fact this book permits cheese and meat which if you recall the 70's where made to look evil towards rice and pasta. The first 2 weeks only allow 30 net gram carbs then there is another phase which introduces whole grains back.
Guy: I followed Atkins diet ,his guidelines and read the book i am prepared for the side effects and will not make my day of food be worth more than 20% saturated fat. But only have 30 carbs a day for a while.