An American is someone who lives in the USA. Not all americans are overweight, ignorant pricks with an addiction to burgers and flag waving. Some of them are actually friendly, intelligent people!
Remember, kids: just because meet or hear one person from a certain place doesn't mean that everyone from there is like it. Oh, and did I mention that the actions of the US government don't ALWAYS speak unanimously for every last citizen of the USA? Just wanted to clear that up.
They do think some wierd things, though.. They call football soccer, American football football, aluminium aloominum, jam jelly and so on. But belittling them for differences like that would be a bit petty of me, wouldn't it?
Things you should know:
1. Yes, we are aware the term "American" can be used for anyone living in North or South America. The term "British" can be used for someone from Scottland, Ireland, or England. What else do you want us to call ourselves, United-Statesians? Besides, I don't see you calling people from Brazil or Argentina or Cuba American anyways. Why should we?
2. Yes, we are aware our President shows serious signs of mental retardation. All goverments have their problems.
3. We're not stupid. We don't go around speaking "American", laughing at all other "American" speaking countries thinking they stole the idea from us.
4. We're not all crazy extremists or blind conservatives.
5. Your country probally produces almost as much pollution as ours, and seeing as the US is about 3,718,695 cm2 (9,631,420 km2; gasp! an American knowing about the metric system? unheard of!) large and has 302,431,000 citizens, we're not doing that bad.
6. Celsuis- Farheniet, Meters- feet, Pounds- killograms. Gallons- liters. We use both you know.
7. We don't hate all Canadians, Brits, Cubans, and Japaneese people. We don't think all Muslims are terrorists. No matter what Bush says, we most definitely don't eat "freedom fries". We don't all support Iraq. We don't think Pakistan is in Africa.
8. Just because we can't trace our ancestors in America back for 329 years, it doesn't mean we love our country less.
9. Patrioism is never a bad thing. Even if you lived in the crappiest country in the world, it's still your country.
10. No, we don't think everyone in the world celbrates July Fourth with us.
11. We don't eat McDonald's everyday or drive five cars.
12. Not everyone speaks like their from Texas. There are forty-nine other states you know.
13. We don't think we're better than you.
14. Lastly, half the people that bash us are allies with us. Our country has relations in more than half the world. Most likely, we're best friends.
French: "Look at Iraq. What a dumb mistake."
American: "Dude, we know our president's an ass."
But nonetheless, regarding my own humble experience, I found most americans beeing really kind, straight, honest and generous people, and despite these qualities, they can be quite (irritating) modestly too. I believe even behind the "fuck off, leave me alone"-attitude, some of them have, you still may find a big, bumping heart in the right place. They live, struggle and suffer as we all do, well, probably in a more intense way. A lot of them have managed to create incredible beautiful and touching things like art, literature, music and other amazing or insane stuff while they have been living in the worst nightmare you can't nor you like to imagine at all. You won't find this special kind of strength and creativity very often outside america. Especially their music can tell you a lot about them; if you're open minded and dig deeper.
It's true their culture is quite dominating, from an european point of view, but this is because they're often just freaking good in what they do, and the "language" they speak is one everyone can understand. Since the U.S., as well as Canada, were founded by people who came or fled from every thinkable place of this planet, americans are the sum of all these origins. Squared. So, from a different view, we're all americans. If you want to see one, just look into a mirror. If you hate them, you probably just hate yourself.
Regarding U.S. residents, I hope, wish and pray they get their act together again, that they get over all this sad shit they suffer from and rise like a phoenix. Come on. Nobody can smile like you do, show it to us again. I'm missing it.
B: "Yeah, just like all Germans."
A: "They eat shit all day long and look ill."
B: "Yeah, just like all Frenchmen."
A: "They speak a pathetic language."
B: "Yeah, just like all Britons."
A: "They are obsessed with sex."
B: "Yeah, just like all Italians."
... and so on and so forth ...
A: "They're just fucking stupid and have no culture."
B: "Yeah, just like you."
I myself am Canadian, and although SOME Americans are fat, idiotic, ignorant slobs, many are the exact opposite. A lot of Americans (probably the majority) are genuine, hardworking people who do the best they can to provide for their family with what they have. Many hate Bush, and are glad Obama's taken his position, hoping that it'll lead to more peaceful and better living. Not all of them wanted to even go into Iraq in the first place, and even though the stereotype for Americans are fat and stupid, many of them don't deserve it, and if you think that 300,000,000 people are stupid fat asses, you are extremely close minded.
Me: Well I'm sorry you feel that way, it makes you look very arrogant.
Mostly people who live in the USA are called Americans.
People in other countries like to call them fat and stupid which is the common stereotype. Americans think of themselves as free and rich.
- Just because we have a high obesity rate does not mean every last single person is fat, I'd rather be fat than be starving , I think most normal people would agree
- We are not all stupid, yes there are stupid people but what country doesn't have stupid people, we have most of the elite universities in the world
- We aren't all ignorant, many of us have a desire to travel outside the U.S
- In school they teach us the metric system, and yes I know zero degrees celcius = 32 degrees faranheit
- Anybody who says America deserved 9/11 is heartless and evil, they were innocent people and had nothing to do with the goverment's action
- I know that American means anybody from North, South, or Central America but mainly it means somebody from the U.S because you don't refer to somebody from Brazil as a south american but just as Brazillian to make it more specific
- You can't just sterotype a whole nation and be correct, I could say that in England everyone has bad teeth and drinks tea but that is not true for everybody and it is ignorant which is exactly the same when you try to sterotype Americans
- Also the joke is on the people who are from different countries and sterotype us, I bet you thousands of people from your country come to ours so you are also making fun of your own people
Person B: That is ignorant because American is not a race, Whites, blacks, Arabs, Hispanics, and others come to America so your making fun of your own people