1. does not match the source word for word
2. involves putting a passage from a source into your own words
3. changes the words or phrasing of a passage, but retains and fully communicates the original meaning
4. must be attributed to the original source
5. It is not a summary.
6. It does not contain most of the words or phrases from the original (plagiarism).
7. It includes all minor details from original.
8. The meaning of the writing being paraphrased is clearer to the reader than in the original text.
9. It restates the thesis.
10.It is usually longer than the original.
"Immanuel Kant maintained the view that 'Existence' is obviously not a predicate."
"One prominent scholar believes 'existence' is not a predicate."