A diet in which you count your "net carbs" (which are carbs - dietary fibre). Contrary to popular beleif, this diet does not encourage you to eat massive amounts of bacon, cheese and other foods high in fat.
The reason why this diet actually works is because:
1. When you are eating regular carbs, your body uses them for energy by braking them up with insolan (which causes your blood sugar to rise, and then fall dramatically depending on the type of carb you eat) then u crave carbs again....its like a rollercoaster
2. When on Atkins, you are basically trying to keep your blood sugar constant - flat lined you could say.
3. When u don't use carbs for energy, your body switches in to ketosis
- which is fat-burning mode. Instead of your body burning carbs and storing fat, your burning fat you eat and fat you store - that is why you can eat more fat on this diet - fat replaces carbs
* this diet has been proven by many studies to help type 2 diebetics - if you think about it, type 2 diebetics is like being allergic to carbs - your body cannot process them efficiently.
* I agree that this is a overly hyped diet - but it actually does work. I've lost 20 pounds over a month and a half - about 3 pounds a week. AND IM NOT HUNGRY ALL THE TIME LIKE I WAS WHEN I ATE CARBS! You have to do it properly - check out www.atkins.com for more infomation