Noun. Slang word used to refer to those of European ancestry. The word is thought to have either derived from the sound of a whip being cracked by slave owners, or because crackers are generally white in color.
I'm still waiting for the word "Cracker" to be referred to as the "C-word" the way the word "Nigger" is constantly referred to as the "N-word".
1) Noun. A race-baiting, camera-chasing buffoon who builds a base of political support by first dividing and then galvanizing people by their racial identities.
2) Verb. The act of defining any event, even if trivial, as racially significant and biased against black people.
3) Adj. Adding a racial discrimination aspect to any person, place or event.
1) "Just because you didn't get that job doesn't mean it was racial discrimination. Don't be an Al Sharpton."
2) "That white lady just stepped on your foot by accident, bro, don't Al Sharpton everything that happens to you."
3) "We just wanted to discuss issues in the black community, but he's Al Sharptoning this discussion by making everything about white racism and black victimhood."
1) Strict definition: An irrational bias towards members of a racial background. The bias can be positive (e.g. one race can prefer the company of its own race or even another) or it can be negative (e.g. one race can hate another). To qualify as racism, the bias must be irrational. That is, it cannot have a factual basis for preference.
2) Commonly intended definition(in America): A bias that white people have against blacks
3) Politically motivated definition: A justifiable reason to redistribute resources or opportunities between groups on the basis of race alone.
1) One is not a racist for pointing out that blacks receive lower scores on their ACTs, SATs, GREs, LSATs and other standardized tests of academic achievement.
2) One is a racist for pointing out #1 *IF* there is no reason for pointing it out other than to make black people feel inferior.
3) Racism is the reason that a 20 on the ACT should actually be considered a 25 if the test taker was black.
The belief that members of the white (i.e. those of European ancestry) race are superior to other races. Although the white race has a long and impressive list of accomplishments, whites who believe in white supremacy typically engage in the logical fallacy of assuming that they, as individuals, somehow share in these accomplishments because they share the same skin color or ancestry. The supremacy, or lack thereof, of a given race says nothing about the individual. When speaking of races, one necessarily speaks in terms of distributions in the values of any given attribute (e.g. intelligence, height/weight, running speed), but when refering to individuals, each has a fixed value. Caution must be taken not to engage in the fallacy of believing that because one is white and the white race has an impressive list of achievements as a whole, that one somehow inherits this prestige/value. Same applies to other races.
John decided that he is proud to be white and that blacks are inferior because Africa is mostly black and it is full of violence, poverty, famine and warfare and because Europe is mostly white and full of culture, technology, wealth and power. John, however, can't hold down a steady job, has an IQ less than 90, beats his wife and blames it all on affirmative action. John isn't smart enough to realize he is an individual, not a race, and that he is not supreme, he is a loser.
An apparently unprovable hypothesis that living creatures were created by an all-powerful, intelligent entity that itself did not have a creator. Contrast with evolution
. ID proponents typically fail to understand 4 things:
1) Scientists use the word "theory" differently than the layperson
2) Science operates just fine in the absence of absolute truths. Thus, if evolutionary theory doesn't explain everything, that's not a problem - it's a "work in progress"
3) People are no better off substituting a slightly imperfect scientific theory for a completely unsupported religious hypothesis
4) The fact that ID cannot be disproven is a weakness, not a strength (e.g. There are 482,331 raisins orbiting Saturn right now... I defy you to prove me wrong).
If Intelligent Design is such a great alternative explanation to evolutionary theory, why aren't proponents actually USING it to advance scientific understanding? In short, they should practice what they preach... literally.
Perhaps Affirmative Action (AA) is the biggest reason that successful blacks in America get less respect than successful members of other races. AA is a preference program, designed to give economic benefits to a group designated as "underrepresented minorities", which includes blacks, non-white hispanics, native americans and women. Although women are arguably the biggest beneficiary of AA, most others are upset at benefits given to blacks because it usually involves a higher margin of preference. See also Affirmative Blaction
Liberals typically justify AA with euphemisms such as "Leveling the playing field" or "You can't expect a man shackled for 400 years to just get up and run a race". They never speak in straightforward, concrete terms lest they reveal AA for what it is: Socio-economic welfare. It is sold to the public under the guise of "achieving equality" but, oddly, lacks any clause that measures when equality is achieved or when AA will no longer be necessary. AA is obviously not about achieving equality since no preference is given to whites, asians or women in the NBA or NFL, which are black male-dominated.
Strangely, although black groups fight passionately to preserve AA, blacks in general are offended when it is implied that AA contributed to their current job/position. They want to get AA, but they don't want anyone to know they got it.
Jamal is applying to go to Harvard Medical School, and so is John. John scored in the upper 95% on his MCAT, while Jamal scored in the upper 65%. Affirmative action is the reason that Jamal will be taking out your appendix today while John is studying to be a nurse.
Blackmail refers to a situation that arises when a person threatens another person with some form of punishment if they do not offer some form of concessions. Blackmail is usually the result of one person somehow obtaining embarassing information about another and threatening to disclose it unless some form of payment (money or favors) is offered. The term originates from the words "black" and "mail", which referred to the dark or threatening nature of the letters (mail) that were received detailing the threat. Although blackmail usually entails paying a price to obtain another person's silence about an embarassing situation, it need not involve an actual event before it can be conducted. The threat of embarassing someone for a contrived event can be enough to conduct blackmail effectively, provided the threat is believable.
's Rainbow/PUSH Coalition
frequently tells companies that if they do not donate to their cause and hire their members, they will accuse them of racism
and organize commerce-damaging protests. Whether any racism exists or not, the threat of income loss and negative publicity is enough to extract blackmail money.