An internet advertisement that comes in a separate window without warning and without your consent. Some look like the operating system's buttons and asks if you want to scan for popups, which tempts less smarter people to click them which will run an ActiveX control which will install more popups.
A popup ad is like a vacuum cleaner salesman that comes to your door at 1:30 in the morning and dumps ashes on your carpet, then won't pick it up until you buy their vacuum cleaner and pick it up yourself. Meanwhile, the vacuum cleaner is loaded with viruses in the bag and you get sick.
1. A union between two famous people, which doesn't last long. The time it takes for light to travel the distance of the diameter of a subatomic particle is a quadrillion times longer than this union lasts.
2. When measuring the lifespan of something that fails, it's often measured in celebrity marriages.
1. Ben Afleck and J.Lo got into a celebrity marriage, but they were divorced before a camera's 1600 speed film could be exposed enough to take a picture of them in a married state.
2. Don't buy this preservative-free cow's milk, it lasts less than 10 to the hundredth power celebrity marriages.
The cliff effect is when a digital signal (music/photo/video) 'falls off a cliff' when it fades out because the receiver can no longer tell which part of the wave is a digital 1 or 0, and there are more errors than can be corrected. The output of analog signals will get worse and worse in quality as it fades out and fail gracefully. This is especially a problem with digital cell phones because, rather than getting a more staticky call, it just drops the call completely.
A scratched vinyl LP record will still play, though at reduced quality while a CD will suffer the cliff effect when even so much as a fingerprint gets on it.
What you say when faced with a proprietary closed-source hardware device such as the Creative Zen Mosaic MP3 player. Implies that someone with an oscilloscope/spectrum analyzer can tinker with the internal workings of a device and make it work more freely/open. Can also be replaced with 'Agilent to the rescue'.
Hipster:I'd like to get this iPod
working in Linux, but it only works on MTP connection.
Guy in Red Hat:Tektronix to the rescue! Let's figure out the protocol.
1. A magical item used in Pagan rituals.
2. A magical item used to summon customers, you'll sit around for an hour with no one in the store, and then as soon as you start sweeping, someone walks in with muddy boots and steps in your dirt.
1. The beautiful Witch used a broom to cast a spell.
2. The handsome worker used a broom to sweep the floor, and then someone came in and bought a 10 cent candy and made the floor dirty.