Located in the center of Balkan Peninsula, Macedonia is ethnic territory compounded from three parts Vardar, Pirin and Aegean Macedonia
Ancient Macedonian tribes were settled on this territory and were united by the first Macedonian king Macedon. The most known Ancient Macedonian kings are King Philip 2nd who achieved to conquer whole Greece (338 BC, Battle of Chaeronea ), and his son Alexander 3rd the Great (or Alexander 3rd the Macedon) who is one of the biggest conquerer in the history of mankind who achieved to invade 75% of the ancient known world (Persia, Egypt,parts from India etc). Soon after his dead his empire falls apart in smaller regions, kingdoms governed by his generals and their dynasties.
Despite the nowadays Greek possessive propaganda there are many evidence why Ancient Macedonians weren't Greeks:
1. They had their own Macedonian language nothing similar to Ancient Greek (the language is the most important mark of one nation)
2. They were never invited to participate the ancient Olympic Games (the only allowed to compete were the Greeks).
3. They had their own religion.
4. Alexander 1st (5 century BC) was was called "phillhellen" which means "friend of the Greek people". He supplied the Greeks with timber which they desperately need it to build fleet to win the war against the Persians.
5. One of the most known Greek orator and statesman Demosthenes in his speeches called "Philipiki" (against the Macedonian King Philip 2) called the Macedonians a tribe that has no connection with the culturally elated Greece.
The Macedonian region in the 3 century BC falls under Roman rule until the Middle Ages when Macedonian King Samoil creates big kingdom.
Macedonians are mixture from the the Ancient Macedonians and the Slavs who conquered this territory in 6-7 century AD (with the big movement of nations in Europe). This territory was torn apart in 1913 (The Balkan Wars) between the allied Balkan countries (Greece, Serbia, Bulgaria and Albania) which first banished the Ottoman Empire from it's territory (550 years under Turk rule) and then divided it.
Greece invaded Aegean, Serbia Vardar and Bulgaria Pirin Macedonia. Albania invaded small south-western part of its territory
The Republic of Macedonia was formed as socialist Republic in the Yugoslavian Federation from the Vardar part, its full independence achieved in 8 September 1991 after it separated
from the socialist system.
Macedonians and their rich true history.
The Urban Dictionary Mug
One side has the word, one side has the definition. Microwave and dishwasher safe. Lotsa space for your liquids.
Buy the mug