A psychopath is one who suffers from the anti-social personality disorder of Psychopathy.
A psychopath can be identified by using the PCL-R Checklist, which contains the following characteristic traits:
1. Superficial charm and above average intelligence.
2. Absence of delusions and other signs of irrational thinking.
3. Absence of nervousness or neurotic manifestations.
5. Untruthfulness and insincerity.
6. Lack of remorse or shame.
7. Antisocial behavior without apparent compunction.
8. Poor judgment and failure to learn from experience.
9. Pathological egocentricity and incapacity to love.
10. General poverty in major affective reactions.
11. Specific loss of insight.
12. Unresponsiveness in general interpersonal relations.
13. Fantastic and uninviting behavior with drink, and sometimes without.
14. Suicide threats rarely carried out.
15. Sex life impersonal, trivial, and poorly integrated.
16. Failure to follow any life plan.
Psychopathy is in many cases also linked being a Sociopath
, having Antisocial Personality Disorder, and Pseudopsychopathic Personality Disorder (also known as Frontal Lobe Disorder). The last of which is caused by lesions of the frontal lobe
Being a psychopath doesn't mean you're going to be in prison for mass-murder or that you only resort to violence.