Similar to facebook activism, the belief that no-commitment activities will result in meaningful social change. This meme results from the belief that awareness is all that is necessary to improve society, rather than actually donating money or time.
Real examples of avatar activism:
I changed my Twitter avatar to green to support Iranis!
I blacked out my avatar to support awareness of Australia's Black Saturday!
JFK himself. When he was in office, he stood before the world and promised everyone a man on the moon within 10 years. Thing is, nobody had started working on a space program at that point. JFK had no data to back up his claims, no insight into the practicality of space travel. But you know what he had?
The man had sac. The man had the sac to stand before the world and say “Yo yo, get this! We’re going to the moon.”
"Miserable User" is the name of a hack for Virtual Bulletin message boards. An admin can set a poster to that status to encourage the poster to leave the board.
Here is what happens to a miserable user:
- There is a random 60-120 second delay each time they click on a link.
- 90% of times they have no search engine acccess.
- 75% of the times they get the server too busy error.
If they don't get the server too busy error:
- 50% of the times they may get a blank page
- 30% of the times they may get forwarded to the forum main page
- 20% of the time they may be able to see the page they asked for.