Encyclopedia Dramatica (ED) is a wiki formed by LJDrama
people who were writing Wikipedia
articles about LiveJournal
incidents, but found that such content was deleted. They started their own wiki to document online drama; hence the name.
ED is loved or hated. Those who "get" it treasure it like old issues of MAD Magazine
. Those who don't get it, such as fans of funny-wiki Uncyclopedia
, disparage it at length.
Articles on ED fall into several general types. (View with caution: NOT SAFE FOR WORK.)
(1) Internet people: ED documents many Internet users and their online activities. Targets include users of LiveJournal, MySpace
, and Wikipedia, as well as sexual predators, and actual racists. (Mediacrat, Tay Zonday, Chris Forcand)
(2) Public train wrecks: Like a tabloid
, ED documents and mocks offline people, groups and events that are deemed worthy of ridicule. (My Chemical Romance, Lindsay Lohan, Carlos Sousa Jr.)
(3) Internet terms: ED documents Internet sites, culture, lingo and meme
s, often in a fairly factual manner. Included are many 4chan
memes. (So i herd u liek mudkip, Profit, YTMND)
(4) Hate articles: ED takes on and caricatures a racist, sexist, homophobic, sanctimonious, and frequently outright insane perspective. (JEWS DID WTC, Rape, Furry)
(5) Shock images: ED houses many noted shock image
s. (Goatse, Offended, 1guy1jar <-- Careful, you can't un-see them.)
A: "I saw the most horrible thing ever at Encyclopedia Dramatica. I'm scarred and offended."
B: "That'll happen."
C: "I saw the funniest thing ever there! I laughed 'til I cried."
B: "That'll happen too."