An optional and more difficult way to play a pokemon game.
1. Catch the first Pokemon you encounter in each route/cave/whatever and nothing else. If you fail to catch it, too bad, continue onwards.
2. If your Pokemon faints, consider it dead and release it.
Additional/Optional rules include:
3. No use of healing items. You may only heal at pokemon centers.
4. If a pokemon that knows an HM move faints you may not use the HM. If no other pokemon you have can learn the HM you automatically lose and must start the game over.
5. Make a comic about anything significant that happens. You may be creative and turn it into a more original story.
6. Nickname everything you catch.
Grinding is allowed and any additional Pokemon that don't fit in the party may be stored in boxes. If all your Pokemon faint it's game over.
He tried the Nuzlocke challenge and had to release his starter after it was knocked out at the first gym.