A sexually transmitted disease. Can be contracted through breast milk, blood, body tissue, using dirty needles, but mainly sex. Using a condom dramatically lowers your chances of contracting an std. Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, and Syphilis are some of the most common in the united states (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2008), but by far the most common is HPV; 1 in 4 people have it. Some stds are curable, and some, like HIV/AIDS and Herpes are not. It is estimated that every year, 1 in 4 teens contracts an std (American Social Health Association, 2006), so watch who you sleep with! Also, stds can cause serious harm to your body in the long-run, so get yourself tested/treated.
Most common stds, their symptoms, and if curable in the United States (Elizabeth Bolskey, PhD, 2009).
1. Chlamydia- Pain during sex, discharge. Curable.
2. Gonorrhea- Painful urination, often no symptoms. Treatable
3. Syphilis- Lesions (holes in skin) on penis/vagina/rectum. Curable.
4. Mycoplasma Genetalium- no symptoms, can cause infertility. Treatable.
5. Trichomoniasis- Frothy vaginal discharge, itching, odor. Treatable.
6. Crabs/Pubic Lice- little bugs/eggs visible on genetalia, intense itching. Curable.
7. Scabies- Incredibly itchy rash. Spread by skin-on-skin contact. Curable.
8. Human Papiloma Virus - No symptoms/cervical cancer/genital warts. Treatable.
9. HIV/AIDS - supresses immune system so basically any disease/virus can get in. Intense treatment.
10. Herpes - sores. treatable.