One of the symbols of communism
, along with the hammer and sickle
. It is typically depicted as a gold star on a red background, although a red star on other backgrounds works as well. The five points each represent a different part of the communist peoples, which would have to work together in order for communism to work. Which point of the star is not related to an order of the groups, which follow:
1. The Intelligentsia, those who had intelligence and were to criticize the way things were, so that life for all could be improved.
2. The Military, those who defended communism from those who would seek to destroy it.
3. The Youth, those who were to grow up communists, and to lead the next era of communism.
4. The Proletariat, those who labored in factories and such to allow society to run.
5. The Peasantry, those who worked on agriculture and so allowed society to feast.
On the soviet flag, a red star hangs above the hammer and sickle, the two most common symbols of communism.